Having just read that you have acquired a Morrison’s till receipt, it naturally occurred to me that I have, unwittingly, become an art collector. Not only do I have other examples of Morrison’s ‘Modernist monochrome abstract paintings’ but also similar ones from Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Tesco, Aldi and Lidel. Being made aware that this essential piece of contemporary art was given an estimated price of £30,000 three years ago, I can assume that its value must have increased. In spite of the fortune I am clearly depriving myself, I am willing to donate my collection to Tate Britain.
There are some superb exhibits that I have for you. For example, the bold thrust of the art-deco like Tesco logo heralds a breath-taking montage with a symmetry of design that borders on the surreal. You will clearly appreciate the juxtaposition of Tesco’s own-brand baked beans, toilet paper and cat litter, each remarkable for its understated simplicity, with the overt dynamism of Del Monte’s peach halves and Rowntree’s liquorice all-sorts. The slightly-greyish background colour combined with the declamatory text will undoubtedly provide that same feeling of awe and overwhelming sense of discovery that greeted the finding of the dead sea scrolls.
I intend to become a consistent benefactor as I will regularly donate these seminal artefacts.
I assume you have considered acquiring, regardless of cost even in these recessionary times, collections of bingo tickets. Each ticket can be seen as an inherited embodiment of Robert Rauschenberg and his enigmatic numerals. Of course, his influence can be found, arguably even more dramatically, in queue-waiting tickets. And what of the Freudian overtones that inhabit dry-cleaning slips? The vast world of slips, receipts, dockets and receipts is your oyster
Yours, beyond bemusement and rationality
Martin Moritz (martin@moritznet.com)
There are some superb exhibits that I have for you. For example, the bold thrust of the art-deco like Tesco logo heralds a breath-taking montage with a symmetry of design that borders on the surreal. You will clearly appreciate the juxtaposition of Tesco’s own-brand baked beans, toilet paper and cat litter, each remarkable for its understated simplicity, with the overt dynamism of Del Monte’s peach halves and Rowntree’s liquorice all-sorts. The slightly-greyish background colour combined with the declamatory text will undoubtedly provide that same feeling of awe and overwhelming sense of discovery that greeted the finding of the dead sea scrolls.
I intend to become a consistent benefactor as I will regularly donate these seminal artefacts.
I assume you have considered acquiring, regardless of cost even in these recessionary times, collections of bingo tickets. Each ticket can be seen as an inherited embodiment of Robert Rauschenberg and his enigmatic numerals. Of course, his influence can be found, arguably even more dramatically, in queue-waiting tickets. And what of the Freudian overtones that inhabit dry-cleaning slips? The vast world of slips, receipts, dockets and receipts is your oyster
Yours, beyond bemusement and rationality
Martin Moritz (martin@moritznet.com)

No comments:
Post a Comment